Feedback on my article in the CoSoZo Living Magazine & my Reply

Hi Debbie,

One of the members where I teach Zumba brought me the article you wrote Zumba Craze Hits Michigan. I just read it and had to send you some feedback.

I thought the article was great in that it encourages people to consider Zumba, the fun workout, the fabulous aerobic activity, etc. I also loved that you boasted that the Zumba Program is currently being taught at over 50,000 locations, etc. All in all it was great. I do, however, TOTALLY disagree with the paragraph starting with Most Zumba instructors without a fitness background face away from their students.... I could not disagree with your statement more. There is no written rules about this in the Zumba instructors notes and the proof is really in the pudding. In other words, what does the student/member really prefer? Whether you believe this or not, students find it much easier to follow when the instructor is facing the same direction that they are. It has nothing to do with 'looking at someones' buttocks' and because you feel it's a "no-no" doesn't make it the rule. I personally face the mirrors as do many other great Zumba teachers and speaking for myself, I am not "busy looking at myself and not keeping an eye on the students". My eyes, facing the mirror, are on the students' feet and hands and once in awhile on their eyes - but not very often. I never use a microphone (AND I've noticed that many fitness teachers can't seem to let go of their microphones to teach Zumba the way Beto wants it to be taught) . The students/members are not there to get personal with me during the Zumba class & nobody is there for any sort of show business. They are there to get a workout and if it's enthusiastic, fun, easy to follow & gracious..... it's Zumba! and it's all good.

I appreciate the fact that you have several years in the fitness industry and you feel you are more than savvy when it comes to experiences but to state your personal opinion (the Zumba instructor facing the mirror as a "no-no" ) as some sort of rule is not fair at all. It's your opinion only & I feel you should have qualified that (as you did in the 3rd paragraph from the end of the article.

Zumba is supposed to be easy, fun, safe, encouraging, addictive.... My classes are packed full of all age groups, I have been teaching Zumba for over 2 years and I ALWAYS face the mirrors. My students would not want it any other way (and they don't hesitate to remind me if I do face them).

I love that you pointed out that 'Zumba is growing extremely fast' and it's 'not just a fad'. In an effort to keep it from being a fad, I am constantly adding new songs for the students/members and I'm sure you are too. I see the "fake" stuff out there as you do and probably like you, I speak up to try to keep the fake stuff from watering down the Zumba name and the foundation for what Beto built the name on. That's our responsibility to the whole Zumba program. I know you agree with that.

Thank you for taking time to read my little note. Thanks for spreading the good word about Zumba!

Karen A
--------------------------------------------

MY REPLY:


Thank you for your email Karen. I appreciate your feedback on the article, however, when I write something, I have proof to back it up.

FACTS:
First, since you base this on Zumba, have you ever attended any of Beto's Masterclasses/workshops? Beto teaches all of his classes facing the students and never faces away from his students. If you've noticed, Beto only turns around when he has a difficult step to demonstrate. In addition, if you watch his live classes from the earlier ZIN, Beto has mirrors.... is he facing the mirrors or his students? Again, with the harder moves, he faces away and he will face the students after the demonstration. I have never seen or heard of any Masterclass, Presenters, Workshops that will conduct it facing away from their students/participants.

Next, have you attended any of the current Zumba workshops? In all of the Zumba workshops the ZES stresses, "to face your students, because you want your class to feel like a party and how can it when your butt is facing them throughout the class?" If you do not believe me, please contact any ZES. Of course, if you need to face away from your students, it is your choice, however, it is bad practice in any fitness class.

It may be hard for some Instructors to face their classes.... maybe they are new to fitness or they find it very hard to cue from "their students left and right". Perhaps the room is too small and the only way an Instructor feels comfortable teaching is the same way as their students. Having direct eye contact with the students and giving them verbal and hand cueing is important and it is a great way to monitor the students and if the one in the back roll needs assist If you need to... teaching both ways could be beneficial

Performing the Heimlich maneuver to a choking victim is also a personal opinion, but one that is almost universally viewed as the correct PROCEDURE to increase the odds of success for a choking victim.

I would now like to add the fitness facts to why Instructors should not face away from their students:

ACE, p217
“When leading group exercise, face the class as often as possible, using mirroring techniques, such as moving to the participants’ left when directing them to the right. An instructor can only monitor class safety by watching all participants at all times. All cues should be precise and timely.”


Now my Personal Opinion:
It is without a doubt a good thing to look directly at individuals - both new participants and regulars. Facing the group forces you to make direct eye contact with your students, so that's plus ONE for facing your students. Most importantly, facing the student allows the instructor real time feedback for the cardinal signs of potential health problems of their students. i.e. redness, fatigue, fainting, etc.
A large studio, utilizing an elevated stage for the instructor, offers reason #2 for teaching mirror image. Not only does it allow you direct eye contact with people in the back row, it just feels rude to have your students looking eye level at your rear end for an hour. So, particularly with an elevated teaching platform, that's plus TWO for teaching facing your students. of course, in a very small studio it may be hard to teach 100% facing your students, so, going back and forth from mirror image to facing away is fine... as long as your keep that connection with your students.

Speaking of "connection", I feel you are incorrect when you state, "...The students/members are not there to get personal with me during the Zumba class & nobody is there for any sort of show business. They are there to get a workout and if it's enthusiastic, fun, easy to follow & gracious... "I would hate to attend any type of class if I do not have a connection with my Instructor! If she is impersonal, I would walk right out of the classroom! As for "Show Business", I am not sure what you are referring to, but I rather have a fun class with a fun Instructor in stead of one that is impersonal, afterall, the motto of Zumba is "Join the party"...What party have you ever gone to where the host doesn't talk to their guests?

When I attend a class, I am there for a workout and for some people "working out", most of the time means... boring... Perhaps it is something that you believe in when it comes to the students. For our company, training and hiring Instructors to be part of Fitness Motivators means that they MUST have a great personality to be consider as part of our team. I am happy your classes are packed - Different cities and locations of classes have different clienteles.

Some Zumba Instructors may feel what I wrote is a personal attack on them because they may not have a fitness background. That was not the intent of my statment, as has become abundantly clear throughout this letter, I was merely passing on the standards set forth and practiced by most fitness pros.

In Better Health & Fitness,
Debbie Lim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen to a Child