2011... A New Year... A New Goal?

Okay... it is 2011 and it is that time of the year where a lot of people are making their New Year's Resolution.... Are you one of them? Are you looking to add fitness into your life? Eat healthier? Stop smoking?
The big question is... Do you stick to your New Year's Resolution or are you like 90% of Americans who unfortunately fail at keeping them?
Why wait for the New Year?
Let's head in the right direction.... Right now! Stop talking and put action to your words!

My new motto...WHY WAIT?

1. Stop stressing yourself out by trying to achieve a high goal. Take baby steps at first. If you go at something real fast, your odds for failure increase. Taking one step at a time will keep you focused and motivated.
If you are seeking to...
• Lose weight... How long did it take you to gain the weight?
• Stop smoking... How long have you been smoking?
• Couch Potato... How long have you been sitting around doing nothing for your health and fitness?
• How long have you let your brain sit on the pause button?

Answer: You have most likely been doing it for some time.
Solution: Don't expect overnight miracles. It took some time to gain the weight... smoke those cigarettes, or sit around and do nothing for your body or mind... Now it will take some time to see results.

2. Reward yourself. Give yourself a little treat at the end of each month. It can be anything! Make it a small victory reward... nothing too big! Maybe a small live plant, fresh cut flowers, a small, child-size, low-fat ice cream cone, just to name a few. Perhaps you can reward yourself with a relaxing massage or a pedicure? Anything to say "Hey... I am worth it!

3. I do not believe in diets. I believe in small portions and adding more activity to your routine. Personally, I feel diets are doomed for failure. Eat less of the bad stuff and more of the good. Period. Eat only a handful and control your portions. Don't eat late at night, unless you have no choice because you work midnights. For the Ladies....If you have PMS and you are craving for those salty foods or sweets, allow yourself to have a small portion. If you do not, you will crave for it so much that you will eat more than you realized! This is what I do when I crave chocolate (ooohhh how I LOVE dark chocolate!), I buy the "mini-bite size variety bags of chocolate candy bars". When I have a craving, I am able to eat one of the mini-bite size chocolate bars and be totally satisfied!


4. Try something new! Let's admit it.... if it isn't fun... we lose interest and we are back to square one! Take up a new hobby... Take a new fitness class - something that you never thought about doing, but would like to try.... at least once.....
I remember the story of my grandfather... He had to close his laundry store and was very bored and lonely. He decided to try an art class and found out THAT HE HAD TALENT! He started painting and had a hidden talent that he never knew he had! (In fact, most of my family has talent in the arts and music!)

5. Think positive and stay positive. It is VERY easy to think negatively when you feel the world around us is crashing, but find the good from within. Wake up with a smile and change your attitude. I promise this will work! Think of the good in people. Use every opportunity to channel every thought to a good thought. you can just as easily as you ....can't

Okay... what gives me the right to offer advice? Some of you do not know about my childhood. Most of you think that my life consisted of being happy, easy, and funny most of the time.... That is far from the truth! I struggle with things too and continue to work extremely hard everyday. When I walk into the classroom (and I tell this to our team at training too), I leave everything at the door and walk into the room with a big smile. If I had a rough day or the energy was not there, I kept my attitude positive and energy high for my students. By the time the class is over, I walk out feeling blessed and happy. If you only knew the type of past that I had, you would wonder how I managed to stay alive and how I am capable of giving the advice AND living by my own advice!

Have faith in yourself and continue to be thankful for every breath you take and every step you take...because you are worth it. Stand tall my friend.... Like Donna always says... treat your body like a temple, because you are worth it! Have a blessed 2011 and take each occasion, obstacle, promotion, success, failure...etc... as a new chapter in your life.

Still shot of Donna from our "Fit Tips Fill-Ins"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feedback on my article in the CoSoZo Living Magazine & my Reply

Listen to a Child